Fire Boat

The photo was taken between 1895-1900.  The boat "Chebeague" was purchased second hand from the Harpswell Steamboat Company. 

The City bought the boat in November of 1894 for $5,500, the Captain and Crew was appointed in December and remodeling the boat began.  

An Amoskeag extra-first-size stationary pump was ordered ($2,000) and installed in January. 

On February 20, 1895, after trials in the Harbor that day Portland's first owned Fireboat (Engine 7) went into service.

It was replaced in 1931, after the new fireboat was commissioned.

Back to Photos

 

Portland Fire Museum 2002 [Home]
The Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Portland Veteran Firemen's Association. Tax Exempt Non Profit Organization  501 (c) 3 
http://www.northerndynamics.com